The Glade 4.0

"Turn the lights down, the party just got wilder."
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Dark Tower (2017)
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 am 
Offline
Near Ground
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:38 pm
Posts: 6774
Location: Chattanooga, TN


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:16 pm 
Offline
Deuce Master

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:45 am
Posts: 3041
Hot damn, that looks amazing.

_________________
The Dude abides.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:22 am 
Offline
Solo Hero
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:32 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Clarkston, Mi
Yea, I am excited.

_________________
Raell Kromwell


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 pm
Posts: 782
I am very skeptical... That is not The Dark Tower I know :\ yes its impressive looking, but if I watched it right, Roland is RUNNING from trying to save the Tower? Maybe just how I'm seeing, but that is not the Roland I know...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 5713
I don't know - I don't have high hopes.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:51 am 
Offline
The artist formerly known as Raber
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:18 pm
Posts: 616
Location: WA state
Crimsonsun wrote:
I am very skeptical... That is not The Dark Tower I know :\ yes its impressive looking, but if I watched it right, Roland is RUNNING from trying to save the Tower? Maybe just how I'm seeing, but that is not the Roland I know...


I know these books have been out for years, but this is spoilered for those that have not read/finished the books:
Spoiler:
I read an interesting article (which I can't seem to find ATM) that talked about how this new movie/TV franchise is actually a sequel to the book series. Given how volume 7 ends, it makes sense how this is possible and how it can allow freedom for the creative team to stray from the exact story, as we have known it. I'm cautiously optimistic.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:00 am 
Offline
I got nothin.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 pm
Posts: 11160
Location: Arafys, AKA El Müso Guapo!
Ulfynn wrote:
I know these books have been out for years, but this is spoilered for those that have not read/finished the books:
Spoiler:
I read an interesting article (which I can't seem to find ATM) that talked about how this new movie/TV franchise is actually a sequel to the book series. Given how volume 7 ends, it makes sense how this is possible and how it can allow freedom for the creative team to stray from the exact story, as we have known it. I'm cautiously optimistic.


That might end up turning the end of #7 from "Crap" to "not as bad crap but still... crap." ;)

Also, Roland is properly badass.

_________________
Image
Holy shitsnacks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 5713
The more deviation from the story, the better.

The story was an awesome idea, but a bit of a cluster &*%$


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:22 am 
Offline
I got nothin.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 pm
Posts: 11160
Location: Arafys, AKA El Müso Guapo!
1 was slow, 2 was awesome with 3 and 4. 5... it started to go off the rails 6 was... wait what? 7 was Oh, come the **** on book. This? This is where you're going now?

_________________
Image
Holy shitsnacks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:00 pm 
Offline
The artist formerly known as Raber
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:18 pm
Posts: 616
Location: WA state
Müs wrote:
1 was slow, 2 was awesome with 3 and 4. 5... it started to go off the rails 6 was... wait what? 7 was Oh, come the **** on book. This? This is where you're going now?

Yeah, that's about how I remember judging them. At some point I may re-read them to see if I still think so.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:41 pm
Posts: 1000
I have yet to read those...

_________________
When he's underwater does he get wet? Or does the water get him instead?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:40 am
Posts: 4281
The ending of the series got pretty wrecked by King's death scare. You could tell he had issues when there were longer and longer waits between each book. 6 years from book 3 to book 4, 6 years from book 4 to book 5, then book 6 and 7 in the same year....

It will be nice if this was a "continuation" of the timeline instead of a retelling, frees them up a bit to do a good film without being too beholden to the series. They are definitely picking and choosing their timeline, as there's obviously pieces of quite a few books in the trailer.

I have to say, this movie is getting very little promotion for a tentpole summer movie. Kind of worrying. The trailer looks amazing, and I'm sure it's designed as a trilogy or more (as Hollywood doesn't even seem interested in making a film without sequel potential these days.) It's also been bumped 4 times at this point (from January, to February, to July, to August). Regardless, the casting looks awesome, and hopefully it's strong enough to warrant the sequels. This film has been in development hell for more than a decade.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:13 pm 
Offline
I got nothin.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 pm
Posts: 11160
Location: Arafys, AKA El Müso Guapo!
August this year? And we're just getting a teaser?

Oh... oh dear.

_________________
Image
Holy shitsnacks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:40 am
Posts: 4281
Müs wrote:
August this year? And we're just getting a teaser?

Oh... oh dear.


August 4th. "The film was scheduled to be released on February 17, 2017. In November 2016, the film was pushed back to a July 28, 2017...In late March 2017, it was pushed back again to August 4, 2017..."

Yeahhhhh, all signs point to a studio that's unsure. This one might be a real stinker. Not surprising after all the development hell (It's gone through JJ Abrahms, Ron Howard, and is now with Nicholas Arcel, so I'm betting there was a lot of ambitious scripts and a lot of studio not wanting to invest THAT amount of cash in an unproven property.)

I've always thought this story could be done really well (Hell, it's essentially apocalypse Clint Eastwood with dimensional shifting sci-fi), but it would have to be done right. Annnd it's not looking that way.

...Or maybe it's one of those hard to classify intellectual genre-spanning pictures that studios have a terrible time marketing. Somehow, I'm thinking no.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:18 am 
Offline
Near Ground
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:38 pm
Posts: 6774
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Thing is though, it got moved to a summer release date out of the winter doldrums. That suggests confidence in it, rather than worry.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:40 am
Posts: 4281
FarSky wrote:
Thing is though, it got moved to a summer release date out of the winter doldrums. That suggests confidence in it, rather than worry.


Except here we are, 3 months from launch, with a single other trailer and no other marketing that I've seen at all. Sleeper hit! :)

This guy seems to agree with you though. https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/03/trailer-if-the-dark-tower-is-good-then-sonys-marketing-is-right-on-schedule

Personally, I hope it's great. I mean, look at my username. I'm just trying not to get on this hype train! (Also, it's coming out too near my birthday, and historically and superstitiously, movies that release near my birthday suck. See: Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, The Simpsons movie, The original buffy the vampire slayer, Waterworld, Spawn, Austin Powers in Goldmember, Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds, Cowboys And Aliens). Let's hope this avoids the birthday curse.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 5713
Darkroland wrote:
I've always thought this story could be done really well (Hell, it's essentially apocalypse Clint Eastwood with dimensional shifting sci-fi), but it would have to be done right. Annnd it's not looking that way.


This story is all over the place. Franchise movies really need to be stand alone, particularly the first one, or people will be bored/confused/etc. Thinking about the story, there's only one way to start this with a stand alone story and that's to focus on the flashback novel (book 4)? Otherwise, there's no way to make a complete story out of one or even a couple of the books. I mean, it will have an audience, but it could be limited to a bunch of sci fi geeks talking about it on internet message boards.

Case in point, this board is the only place I've heard any discussion about this at all.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:40 am
Posts: 4281
Arathain Kelvar wrote:
Darkroland wrote:
I've always thought this story could be done really well (Hell, it's essentially apocalypse Clint Eastwood with dimensional shifting sci-fi), but it would have to be done right. Annnd it's not looking that way.

This story is all over the place. Franchise movies really need to be stand alone, particularly the first one, or people will be bored/confused/etc. Thinking about the story, there's only one way to start this with a stand alone story and that's to focus on the flashback novel (book 4)? Otherwise, there's no way to make a complete story out of one or even a couple of the books.

Case in point, this board is the only place I've heard any discussion about this at all.


They actually did a graphic novel that put all the stories of young gunslinger Roland from throughout the book series in chronological order, that would also work. It was pretty good, actually. Then it basically turns into "Game of thrones with guns", though. Although, I'm willing to bet you could sell that idea in about 6 seconds.

The fact that this board is the only place I've seen anyone talk about it as well is another checkmark in the "they're not marketing this thing" column.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:26 am 
Offline
I got nothin.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 pm
Posts: 11160
Location: Arafys, AKA El Müso Guapo!
Arathain Kelvar wrote:
Darkroland wrote:
I've always thought this story could be done really well (Hell, it's essentially apocalypse Clint Eastwood with dimensional shifting sci-fi), but it would have to be done right. Annnd it's not looking that way.


This story is all over the place. Franchise movies really need to be stand alone, particularly the first one, or people will be bored/confused/etc. Thinking about the story, there's only one way to start this with a stand alone story and that's to focus on the flashback novel (book 4)? Otherwise, there's no way to make a complete story out of one or even a couple of the books. I mean, it will have an audience, but it could be limited to a bunch of sci fi geeks talking about it on internet message boards.

Case in point, this board is the only place I've heard any discussion about this at all.


Wizard and Glass was a great #4 book.

It couldn't lead though. I could see doing a flashback thing regarding #1 in the first 15-20 mins of the movie and then starting with Roland on the beach. Did-a-chick? Dod-a-Chock? Basically skipping the whole first book (there's not a lot of content there anyway really) Drawing of the Three is where it starts to get good.

W&G was SO different in tone and story that it would almost have to be a spinoff of the main line (or told in flashbacks while on Blaine maybe), and 5-7 would need to be reworked heavily to make sense in a movie.

_________________
Image
Holy shitsnacks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:59 pm
Posts: 9386
Darkroland wrote:
(Also, it's coming out too near my birthday, and historically and superstitiously, movies that release near my birthday suck. See: Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, The Simpsons movie, The original buffy the vampire slayer, Waterworld, Spawn, Austin Powers in Goldmember, Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds, Cowboys And Aliens)

Image
Leave Waterworld alone! I've got a weird soft spot for it. Cowboys and Aliens, too, though less so.

_________________
"Aaaah! Emotions are weird!" - Amdee
"... Mirrorshades prevent the forces of normalcy from realizing that one is crazed and possibly dangerous. They are the symbol of the sun-staring visionary, the biker, the rocker, the policeman, and similar outlaws." - Bruce Sterling, preface to Mirrorshades


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:40 am
Posts: 4281
I knew there had to be a fan of waterworld that existed somewhere!

Although, I have to say, this video makes me want to track down the Directors cut and give it a watch. Apparently it fixes some of the most glaring issues with it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 pm
Posts: 782
Kaffis Mark V wrote:
Darkroland wrote:
(Also, it's coming out too near my birthday, and historically and superstitiously, movies that release near my birthday suck. See: Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, The Simpsons movie, The original buffy the vampire slayer, Waterworld, Spawn, Austin Powers in Goldmember, Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds, Cowboys And Aliens)

Image
Leave Waterworld alone! I've got a weird soft spot for it. Cowboys and Aliens, too, though less so.


...I... I like Waterworld too....

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:23 pm 
Offline
The artist formerly known as Raber
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:18 pm
Posts: 616
Location: WA state
Wizard and Glass will be the basis for the Dark Tower TV show.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:41 pm
Posts: 1000
I wish they'd do Eyes of the Dragon. I always loved that book.

_________________
When he's underwater does he get wet? Or does the water get him instead?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:58 pm 
Offline
Solo Hero
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:32 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Clarkston, Mi
The Eyes of the Dragon is freaking great and he did leave a few threads in there that could link it to the tower books.

_________________
Raell Kromwell


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group